Unitize is the process of consolidating several packages into one unit. Carriers strap, band, or otherwise attach the several packages together. This helps to improve efficiency and prevent lost or damaged items.
Unitizing is an important aspect of logistics, as it helps to streamline the shipping process:
- By consolidating multiple packages into one unit, carriers can more easily move shipments from one location to another.
- Additionally, unitizing can help prevent lost or damaged items. The straps and bands used during this process are designed to keep parcels secure in transit, reducing the likelihood of damage or loss.
If you are planning a shipment for your business, it is important to consider how you will unitize your packages. There are a number of different methods that can be used for this purpose, including:
- strapping machines,
- custom cases and dividers,
- stretch wrapping systems,
- shrink wrapping machines,
- and palletizers.
Ultimately, the method that works best for your business will depend on a number of factors, including the type and size of items being shipped.
If you are looking for ways to improve the efficiency of your shipping operation, unitizing is a great place to start. By consolidating multiple packages into one unit, you can streamline your shipping process and prevent lost or damaged items.
Equipment 101: Unitizing equipment – Logistics Management
Unitised – definition of unitised by The Free Dictionary